Sunday, October 9, 2016

Review: Haus & Garten Titanium Pruning Shear

Product Link: Haus & Garten Titanium Pruning Shear
Vendor: Haus & Garten
Price: $29.90

I have an old pair of dull pruning shears that I've lived with for a while.  I'm ok with it since there's not much pruning I need to do in my garden.

Pros:
  • Nice metal construction
  • Sharp blade
  • Easy to hold
Cons:
  • Lack of instructions on the micrometric adjustment

Package Includes:
  • Haus & Garten Titanium Pruning Shear
  • Adjustment tool

The pruning shear arrived in retail packaging similar to what you may see hanging on display at a hardware store.  The front of the package clear shows what the pruning shear looks like and has small tidbits of information.  Bottom front left shows that this shear is sized for small & medium hands.  Good warning for people with large hands to look for something else.  Back of packaging lists features and maintenance instructions.


Removing the shear from the package you can see the shear is in a locked position.  I don't find it surprising that this has a locking mechanism.  I think most shears on the market has them nowadays.  To unlock took a little force to move the pin which is good.  If you have small kids in the house, won't have to worry about them picking up the shears and hurting themselves.

The grip on this pruning shear was very nice.  The shape of it fits my hand perfectly, I didn't have any of part of my hand hanging off the bottom of the grip.  The spring itself seems to be strong.  Before I cut anything, I tried to mimic the cutting gesture and noticed that I do need to apply a bit of force to close (cut) the shear.  I think if I had to use this for a couple of hours, my hands will feel very tired. 



The blade looks sharp when you open up the shear.  I liked that it opened wide enough to get to thicker branches.  But the actual test was when I use the pruning shear.  Now I don't have large tree branches to cut, I'm mainly using this on my rose bushes which isn't too thick.  I have to say this pair of shear really cut through the branches very well which is a testament of how good the blades are. 

There is an extra function of wire cutting that was built into this shear.  It was very nice and I tested the function but I thought this was an odd thing to add.  Who would think to use a pair of pruning shear to do their wire cutting.

The biggest gripe I had was the adjustment tool.  I love the fact that they provided an adjustment tool.  But there was no explanation and I had no idea what that tool was until I went online to look into it.  Apparently it's a tool to help make micrometric adjustment to the cut of the blade.  I wished Haus & Garten provided a small instruction on what we need to do. 

I like this pair of titanium pruning shear.  It's pretty sharp and works very well.  I do expect that at some point I'll have to sharpen the blades but hopefully not for a couple of years to come.

Product Link: Haus & Garten Titanium Pruning Shear
Vendor: Haus & Garten
Price: $29.90

Disclosure: I received this Haus & Garten Titanium Pruning Shear for testing purposes.  I'm not obligated to write positive reviews so my opinions are based on actual usage of the product. 

2 comments: