Sunday, October 16, 2016

Review: Winthome 2-Pack Microfiber Towels with Bag


Product Link: Winthome 2-Pack Microfiber Towels with Bag
Vendor: lOVEATHOME
Price: $9.99 (Note: pricing changes based on color)
Color Available: Blue, Candy Green, Green, Grey, Orange, Purple, Silver, Beige, Pink, Rose Purple, Light Green, Orange 1

I was first made aware of microfiber towel via social media posting from a friend who brought them.  She was using it for gym towels but I saw a different use for them.  I always bring my own bath towels when I go on business trips.  In my 17" carry-on luggage, full size bath & head towels takes up a lot of space.  This is where these microfiber towel came in handy.

Pros:
  • Large towels that don't take a lot of space
  • Very absorbent and dries faster than regular cotton towels
  • Includes a mesh carrying bag
Cons:
  • Strong chemical smell from the free mesh bag
Package Includes:
  • 20"x40" Towel
  • 30"x60" Towel
  • Mesh Carrying Bag

The microfiber towels arrives inside a thin plastic bag.   The two towels were already packed into the mesh bag.  While the towels all fit tightly inside the bag, there was probably still a tiny amount of space for another thin towel.  When I removed the plastic from the mesh bag I did notice a strong whiff of chemical smell which I thought came from the towels.  This wasn't a big deal since I had originally planned to wash the towels before use anyway.  The big towel had the Winthome name printed on a corner whereas the smaller towel didn't have anything.

Prior to initial use I decided to hand wash the towels.  I was afraid that the towels would bleed and unfortunately I was correct.  The first wash had the water with a slight purplish tint (I purchased the rose purple towels).  I went through three washes before I noticed that the towel wasn't bleeding.  I air dry the towels outdoor and it no longer had the chemical smell.


In the midst of this, I realized that the chemical smell didn't originate from the towels.  Instead it was coming from the mesh carrying bag that was made with a combination of PVC plastic.  After five washes the smell has lessen.  Now the mesh carrying bag is pretty strong, but I think they could have used better material to insure no chemical smell exists.

So the main test is will these microfiber towels replace my cotton bath towels that I take on the road?  And the short answer is yes with some caveat.  These microfiber towels are slightly larger than my cotton towels by a couple of inches.  But they pack much smaller so it doesn't take up too much space. Having never used microfiber towels prior to getting this set, I was a bit unused to it in the beginning.  With regular cotton towels you drag the towels around you to get the water out.  With these microfiber towels you have to sort of do a combo pat / drag to get the water off you.  The towels did pick up water pretty fast when I pat myself down.

Overall, this is a great towel set for travel purposes.  It packs really small and doesn't take up much space in your luggage and really does get the job done.  But I definitely still prefer the consistency of the regular cotton towels at home.  There are some improvements that I would make to this.  One of which is including a mesh bag that doesn't have the chemical smell.  Another thing I really would want is for this set to include a face towel.  This would handle all the towels I would need for my trips.

Product Link: Winthome 2-Pack Microfiber Towels with Bag
Vendor: lOVEATHOME
Price: $9.99 (Note: pricing changes based on color)
Color Available: Blue, Candy Green, Green, Grey, Orange, Purple, Silver, Beige, Pink, Rose Purple, Light Green, Orange 1

No comments:

Post a Comment